11 August 2005

brush with ignominy

bob villa let me down. i grew up watching his pbs show in the eighties and in some small way idealized his easy manner and his command of the jobsite. (notice the conquistador stance atop the lumber) but years of good will were squandered in the london underground in may of 1999 when i stopped bob to ask for a handshake and a kind word. there was no one around. he could have endeared himself to a lonely fan, but the cameras weren't on, so he mumbled something to me over his shoulder and skulked away with his publicist. whenever i see sheetrock i begin to weep.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jackson Brownspots said...

It's funny I should come across this, I had a similar encounter with the ever rude Mr. Vila myself in London that year. Just so happens he came into my local one evening. No sooner does he sit down and then he's demanding better service and telling anyone who would listen that he's Bob Vila. Tell someone who cares mate.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home